There is nothing fundamentally wrong with refining in P1 even if the
P21212 symmetry is present.  An effective way to reduce the number of
parameters wold be to introduce tight restraints.  If you decide to
lower the symmetry, go with P21 as it still keeps your ligand off
symmetry axes.  You can then add tight ncs restraints for the protein
part.

Alternatively, you can finish up the refinement in P21212 but get the
maps for your publication drawn in P21 (with appropriate explanation).
The reason to use the highest symmetry possible is because it presumably
gives you a more precise structure since data quality may be better in
P21212.

I am not quite sure what you mean by putting restraints on protein -
NCS?  If so, tight restraints should approximately reduce the number of
effective parameters by the number of copies.  It appears (perhaps
someone will correct me) that *constraints* are only available in CNS,
but tight restraints supposedly approach that limit.

Ed.

--
"I'd jump in myself, if I weren't so good at whistling."
                               Julian, King of Lemurs