On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 23:31 +0200, Tim Gruene wrote:
> I would like to understand how the notion of a photon being scattered
> from all
> electrons in the crystal lattice explains the observation that
> radiation damage
> is localised to the size of the beam so that we can move the crystal
> along and
> shoot a different location.

It's because the probability of this photon choosing the particular path
that is outside the beam is low.  It is not against the law for a photon
to go through collimator material without interacting with it and then
hitting crystal outside the beam spot, it's just very unlikely.

--
"I'd jump in myself, if I weren't so good at whistling."
                               Julian, King of Lemurs