On Thursday, October 14, 2010 09:11:50 am James Holton wrote:
> As I sit here listening to the giant "whoosh" sound of all the world's
> biologists unsubscribing from the CCP4BB, I wonder if anyone on this
> thread can explain to me the difference between a matrix and a tensor?

In invoking the latter, one risks that

 Tension, apprehension,
 And dissension have begun.

(and now that "whoosh" may encompass all our younger readers,
biologists or not).   As to electric current, note that its generalized
description may include a vector corresponding to the spin state of
the electrons that carry it.  Relevant to electromagnets, if nothing else.

		Ethan

> I ask because I think stress and strain are mechanisms of radiation
> damage, but where I am stuck is that Young's modulus seems to always be
> represented by a "tensor" (as opposed to something that makes sense).
> This is not helped by the lack of a tensor class in stdlib!

Isn't that just because real life materials and real life objects are
easier to bend in in some directions than in other directions?

> However, I do think it is interesting that this same Thomas Young
> performed a famous experiment in 1801 that (eventually) proved a single
> photon can scatter off of two slits at the same time.  This is one of
> two experiments that can only be explained by quantum mechanics.
>
> -James Holton
> stressed and strained scientist
>
> On 10/14/2010 8:22 AM, Ed Pozharski wrote:
> > Again, definitions are a matter of choice.  Under your strict version I
> > still may consider electric current as vector, if I introduce the
> > coordinate system in the circuit.  When I transform the coordinate
> > system (from clockwise to counterclockwise), current changes direction
> > with it.  By the way, check the *current density* - it is a vector and
> > it obeys, in generalized case of an inhomogeneous material, a tensor
> > form of Ohm's law.
> >
> > There is no "correct" definition of anything.  Ian is right in the
> > narrow sense of the conventional vector in multiple dimensions and,
> > especially, regarding the software implementation.  But there is a
> > legitimate (i.e. not self-contradictory) broader definition of a vector
> > as an element of vector space, and complex numbers fall under it.  Math
> > is flexible, and there is definite benefit of consider complex numbers
> > (and electric current under some circumstances) as vectors.
> >
> > Checking out of semantics hotel,
> >
> > Ed.
> >
> > On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 16:47 +0200, Ganesh Natrajan wrote:
> >> The definition of a vector as being something that has 'magnitude' and
> >> 'direction' is actually incorrect. If that were to be the case, a
> >> quantity like electric current would be a vector and not a scalar.
> >> Electric current is a scalar.
> >>
> >> A vector is something that transforms like the coordinate system, while
> >> a scalar does not. In other words, if you were to transform the
> >> coordinate system by a certain operator, a vector quantity in the old
> >> coordinate system can be transformed into the new one by using exactly
> >> the same operator. This is the correct definition of a vector.
> >>
> >> G.

Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg
University of Washington, Seattle 98195-7742