From: "William Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:48 PM
Subject: [ccp4bb] embarrassingly simple MAD phasing question

Hi Citizens:

Try not to laugh.

I have an embarrassingly simple MAD phasing question:

Why is it that F" in this picture isn't required to be vertical (purely
imaginary)?

http://www.doe-mbi.ucla.edu/~sawaya/tutorials/Phasing/phase.gif

(Similarly in the Harker diagram of the intersection of phase circles, one
sees this.)

I had a student ask me and I realized that there is this fundamental gap in
my understanding.

Many thanks in advance.

-- Bill

William G. Scott
Professor
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
228 Sinsheimer Laboratories
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA