It is instructive to look at what happens for small molecules where
there is often no solvent to worry about. They are often refined
using SHELXL, which does indeed print out the weighted R-value based
on intensities (wR2), the conventional unweighted R-value R1 (based
on F) and <sigmaI>/<I>, which it calls R(sigma). For well-behaved
crystals R1 is in the range 1-5% and R(merge) (based on intensities)
is in the range 3-9%. As you suggest, 0.5*R(sigma) could be regarded
as the lower attainable limit for R1 and this is indeed the case in
practice (the factor 0.5 approximately converts from I to F). Rpim
gives similar results to R(sigma), both attempt to measure the
precision of the MERGED data, which are what one is refining against.

George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,