The World Routes programme on BBC Radio 3 recently did a three parter field
recording trip in the Appalachians, a concept which included north Georgia,
where you still get people continuing styles of singing that combine
Afro-American with what had been British 17th century popular singing or
folk. Churchy folk at that. At least on Sundays. It survived there because
the region was 'backward' and didn't adopt new fashions, unlike New England
(or old). So British singers of the record collection epoch, when they
weren't pretending to be paintings by Peter Blake,  were imitating a
descendant of their own largely lost tradition.
I hate to use bad language (except with good cause) but another sibling of
this scattered family is Country & Western. From Amy Winehouse to Dolly
Parton is but a small step.

--
(David Joseph) The Brothers Bircumshaw
"Every old house was scaffolding once/And workmen whistling"