Surely the best known female archivist is Stella Rimmington - she of MI5.  Anyone else read her biography?

On 22 October 2010 10:13, Michael Cook <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
A further comment on this question. When I started in archives, the professional scene was certainly enlivened by a group of notably eccentric women. My own boss in Devon, Joan Sinar, is a good example (later Derbyshire). Other names: Madeleine Elsas  at Glamorgan, Ida Darlington at the LCC, Marguerite Gollancz - she illustrates one of the most important reasons for the number of women at that time - private income and the willingness to serve  for less money. However, it would not be right to say that the women (however outstanding) actually dominated the profession. In (I think) 1956 or 1957, Elizabeth Ralph (Bristol) who had served as Vice-Chair of the SoA,  was due to succeed as chair. Some of the leaders, especially Peter Walne the secretary (a notable conservative, who always said no to any change as a matter of principle) were going to block it, on the grounds that it would not be proper for a professional association to be led by a woman. I am glad to say I was part of a revolt against this idea, and ER duly succeeded as our first woman chair. These events are well and readably recorded in Elizabeth Shepherd's recently published history. After this the women still had a hill to climb, maybe are still climbing it.
Michael Cook, PhD, RMARA