The cell structure of Cucumus sativus and C. melo is somewhat different.
If you have not an excellent preserved surface of the seed, a differenziation is not possible!
C. melo is introduced into Europe in the Bronze Age, C. sativus probably in the Roman
period.

 Am 26 Oct 2010 um 22:13 hat Minkoo Kim geschrieben:

> Hi everyone:
>
> It will be great if someone can tell me how cucumber (Cucumis sativus)
> and melon (Cucumis melo) can be differentiated based on seed
> morphology.  Or is it possible to tell the difference between the two?
>  I am dealing with waterlogged seed samples, and they certainly belong
> to Cucumis sp.  I wonder if I can go further down and identify in the
> species level.
>
> Best,
> Minkoo

"-- "
Dr. Helmut Kroll
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte der Universität,  24098 Kiel
Tel. 0431 880-3654; - 2338; Fax -7300
Mail [log in to unmask]