Apologies for cross-postings -

The Isaac Newton Institute for the Mathematical Sciences would like
to announce a public forum in connection with its programme
"Mathematical and Statistical Approaches to Climate Modelling and
Prediction". This will address such questions as: can we ever model
climate accurately? Can we detect early warning signs of dramatic
climate change? How can climate science help create a greener
economy? Full details, including registration information, can be
found at http://www.newton.ac.uk/programmes/CLP/clpw03.html. Brief
details are as follows:

DATE: Wednesday 24th November 2010
TIME: 14:00-19:00
PLACE: Willis Building, 51 Lime Street, London EC3M 7DQ
DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION: Wednesday 17th November 2010

PROGRAMME:

2.00 pm
Welcome: Sir David Wallace, Director, Newton Institute

2.05 pm
Tim Palmer (University of Oxford, and the European Centre for
Medium-Range Weather Forecasting): "Estimating and reducing
uncertainty in climate prediction: key findings from the Newton
Institute Programme"

2.30 pm
Panel Discussion: The scientific uncertainties and their
implications. Chair: Jonathan Leake (Science & Environment Editor,
The Sunday Times).

4.00 pm
Refreshments

4.30 pm
Panel Discussion: Policy in the face of the uncertainties. Chair:
Oliver Morton (Energy and Environment Editor, The Economist).

6.00 pm
Closing remarks: Rowan Douglas, Chair, Willis Research Network.

Reception at The Willis Building
7.00 pm Close

SIGNOFF allstat