Dear All

Our recruitment data for BME applicants is not very positive (especially from application to interview stage) and I've been asked to research some ways in which we could improve our process.

One way I'm currently researching is to make our online application forms more anonymous to the selection panel. Obviously we do not show them the Equal Opportunities Monitoring form but I'd like to go further than that and suggest that all names, addresses etc are blanked out too, so all the panel sees when scoring the applicants is the answers to the selection criteria. My reasoning for this is that although the panel will not know an applicants ethnic background, the panel may assume this when looking at the names of applicants  and issues could inadvertently arise because of this.

Does anyone currently use 'blind' application forms. If so, did you find it improved the number of BME applicants moving from application to shortlist stage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Caroline
Equalities Officer - IoE