On 9/16/10 6:18 AM, "Sylvia Warman" <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello Everyone

When I report on pathology I tend to mention the presence of dental calculus in passing. It seems to turn up most frequently on sheep/goat teeth in the assemblages that come my way.

I understand how it forms but have any investigations been done into what this might indicate in terms of husbandry practise and diet?

Many Thanks

Sylvia

Dr Sylvia Warman
Environmental Officer

Direct Line 01285 772 618

Cotswold Archaeology
Building 11
Kemble Enterprise Park
Cirencester
Gloucestershire
GL7 6BQ

T: 01285 771022
F: 01285 771033
E: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
W: www.cotswoldarch.org.uk <file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\sylvia.warman\users$\sarah.balchin\www.cotswoldarch.org.uk>

© Cotswold Archaeology: a Limited Company Registered in England No.2362531. Registered Charity No. 1001653

Privilege and Confidentiality Notice.
This e-mail and any attachments to it are intended only for sole use of the intended recipient. They may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete any digital copies and destroy any paper copies.

Thank you.

This message has been scanned by MailController <http://www.mailcontroller.altohiway.com/> .

Hi Sylvia...this answer is a bit tardy sorry...we have been working on analyzing calculus from humans and animals. Human calculus contains starch grains which can be identified and we would also like to recover phytoliths. We are collecting calculus from animals to do the same thing....I have some fossilized material (Bovids) and will see if it is possible to retrieve phytoliths and/or starch grains as well. It would be of interest to look at Homo erectus and Neanderthals as well. So...there is some work in progress....

Cheers
Peter

--
Peter Burns