Dear Blaž,

We often tend to assume that FIFA is an international organisation, with
branches everywhere (the four FAs, and the 200 something other
federations/associations). The reality is very different: FIFA is a body of
its own, now headquartered in Switzerland, and all the Associations /
federations are independent bodies, which have decided to join FIFA (and can
leave whenever they want to). The situation is not very different from
Universities or Department deciding to join/leave UACES. Any relationship
that FIFA has with its members is a two-way relationship. FIFA does not make
laws, it only has rules, which are _(in fine)_ decided by members. Most FIFA
members want to take part in the World Cup(s) & other international
competitions, so they adhere to these rules and stay within FIFA.

So:

* Clearly, I cannot see how any federation / association would have any
possibility to act for FIFA (unless there are agreements we don't know).

* Also, FIFA does not need to be registered in a country to be able to
defend its intellectual property (IP) rights in that country; that is what
international treaties on IP are for. (In any case, they could fairly simply
register a branch in most countries, if needs be.)

* The 'duty' to report any ambush activity would need to be a FIFA rule
taken by members - why would they? It would, of course, not be legally
binding for the federation / association either.

* You need to consider whether the ambush is really to the detriment of FIFA
(it isn't always) and do a cost/benefit assessment of any legal action.

The FIFA model is very interesting because it shows some of the problems of
a multinational company / franchise (of a fairly small size), especially
when their rules contradict local law. If I am not mistaken, federations /
associations are still strongly discouraged to use their country's
jurisdictions to solve any problem/issue. This largely explains why rules
which were (and may still be) illegal in many countries (on transfers,
employment contracts etc.) could last for so long.

FIFA is by & large an "Unidentified Political Object" & an "Unidentified
Corporate Object" which would deserve thorough analysis of its structures,
modes of functioning etc. (I bet they would then appear to resemble most
closely international Trade Unions: cf ICEM, or international industry
federations: cf FIIM).

These are just my (very belated) thoughts. I may be wrong - just let me
know.

D.

  _____