  Colleagues - I am posting this on behalf of Mo Dodson at Regent's
College - I think it is very timely for educational developers - James
Wisdom

Centres Of Gravity In British And American Universities

Seminar at Regent's College, London

13th October 2010, 2.15 -- 4.15

You are invited to attend a seminar on the differences between American
and English styles of Higher Education at undergraduate level. This is a
significant topic at this time, as some aspects of British HE move
towards what is thought to be an American model, and as the importance
of credit and modularity may increase in response to the crisis over HE
funding.

Attached is a draft of paper which summarises my views of the
differences, and points to some of the dangers which may arise if those
differences are not well understood. I am sure there will be time to
discuss these and the participants' own views in detail.

I am hoping that academic administrators and support staff in
universities will be intrigued enough to come to add their views. Their
work is crucial to providing a high-level learning environment for
students and teachers to work within, and it is therefore essential that
their skills and experience are central to designing the organisational
systems.

We will be meeting for lunch in our Regent's College Refectory at 1pm
(we are going Dutch I am afraid, but the meals are reasonably priced and
chef-cooked), and then withdrawing to a seminar room for the discussion.
Tea, coffee and biscuits will be provided. Weather and time permitting,
after the seminar there will be a guided walk about of the college and
the Park for those interested.

If you would like to come, do contact me if you want to confirm a place.
We will not be charging any seminar fees.

Mo Dodson, Senior Lecturer in Communications, Media and the Arts,
Regent's College, London, and the Webster Graduate School, Inner Circle,
Regent's Park, NW1 4NS

Nearest Underground: Baker Street Station

email: [log in to unmask]