Dear all,

Does anyone have experience of writing a data processing agreement for Canada... particularly with regard to setting retention schedules with which the Canadian company should comply?

I have just been contacted by our welfare co-ordinator.  She needs to complete a data processing agreement for our employee welfare support service.  The company running the service switches the phone line to Canada after a certain time (presumably to provide the 24hr response advertised), where there are different data processing laws to the UK.  Employees can ring up about any issues they may have... medical, legal, financial, personal... and of course some details of each case are recorded by the company.  Our welfare co-ordinator wants to know how long we should specify that this data should be retained?  My immediate reaction is that there should be one schedule for all employee support data, rather than trying to break it down into sub-groups (medical, legal etc), and I'm thinking of going for the standard Civil Lit option of 7yrs.  Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks,

Sarah Jane Cousins
Force Records Manager & Strategic MoPI Lead | Corporate Information Management | Service Delivery Dept | Hampshire Constabulary PHQ | West Hill, Romsey Road, Winchester, Hants. SO22 5DB | 01962 814778 | [log in to unmask]

This electronic message contains information from Hampshire Constabulary which may be legally privileged and confidential. Any opinions expressed may be those of the individual and not necessarily the Hampshire Constabulary.
The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of the information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone +44 (0) 845 045 45 45 or email to [log in to unmask] immediately. Please then delete this email and destroy any copies of it.

All communications, including telephone calls and electronic messages to and from the Hampshire Constabulary may be subject to monitoring.  Replies to this email may be seen by employees other than the intended recipient.