A Radical Statistics fringe meeting at the British Society for Population Studies last week identified three issues on which we could work together to understand some of the dilemmas they pose, for which we would like to welcome anyone on the RadStats list (and others) who would also like to work on any them:

(a) private business databases sold as demographic tools without documentation in the USA and the UK (proposed by David Swanson).

(b) debates on population and the environment that pose an 'optimum population', such as the current Royal Society evidence-gathering exercise (proposed by Ludi Simpson, Sylvie Dubuc and Michael Grayer).

(c) religion and statistics, evidence for example relevant to building of Mosques (no offers yet to work on this one).

If you have documents or links relevant on any of these, please send to me.

If you are willing to work with others on an initial exploration of the issues, please let me know which of these three, now.

I will then try to find from among the offers someone who can co-ordinate on each issue, and then off you go in whatever ways you think helpful, checking back with RadStats before publishing anything in its name. I'll also open the appeal to the RadStats email list.

All the best

Ludi

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
to [log in to unmask]
Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.