I have always thought that there should be “science critics”, but it is hard to see how such an animal might slot into a newspaper.

The nearest writers who might come to it are people like Simon Jenkins, who seems to hate science and everything that happens under its name, but whose ignorance does not prevent them from writing about it, or George Monbiot, who, albeit with more knowledge, is similarly hobbled by his partisan line.

There are other columnists who dabble in science, in much the same way that Ben Goldacre is a columnist rather than a journalist, but they rarely venture into science.

Michael Kenward OBE

Have words will travel