Maybe GPS thingies are misunderstood they are actually trying to make
travelling more interesting but dice would be cheaper
Cheers from Patrick who has just got rid of his 1940? Bike

-----Original Message-----
From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Max Richards
Sent: 16 September 2010 01:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: snap: Burke to Burke

My wife's new Peugeot came with a GPS, which when switched on showed her how
to begin at the Champs Elysees and navigate anywhere in Europe including
Man Island.
She had it exchanged for an Aussie GPS, which proceeded to take us into
South Australia OK, but told 'Goolwa', took us off the main signposted road
into the bush, while I protested and my wife said Trust it, and its chosen
route died at a farm gate.
Only last weekend I drove her in it up into the Dandenong Ranges to
Kalorama.
The GPS suggested we turn off the main road into the old steep narrow
winding road. I refused. She would have gone that way and ended up at some
cliff edge where reversing and returning was scary.

Max who still prefers maps.

Victoria<http://www.burkeandwills.net.au/Royal_Society/Royal_Society_of_Vict