So far, up here in Canada, the old way, ore or less, works; I send a
hard copy reference letter, sometimes with an e-mail version first.

That, I can manage.

Doug
On 27-Sep-10, at 4:00 PM, Millicent wrote:

> Again and again I am frustrated by the recommendation process.
>
> I just spent a half a day gathering documents and filling out an
> application for an academic teaching job ONLY to find out at the end
> of the online process that hard copy recommendation letters are not
> acceptable.
>
> Sure, it's the university's choice how they want to administer their
> applications, and I guess if someone wants the job, they should play
> by the rules; however, I personally think it is unreasonable for so
> many of these grants/residencies/universities to insist upon unique
> references--especially online. Twice a year, every year, I go
> through this process both as an applicant and as a reference, and it
> is getting uglier and uglier.
>
> For example, University ABC requires references to do the following:
>
> 1) go to a web page
> 2) create a unique log on, profile and password (name, address,
> email, phone number, university affiliation, job title, etc.)
> 3) review the applicant's CV, proposal
> 3) answer three questions about the applicant online (entering
> answers into a form and also the specifying the applicants login and
> name and the job number)
> 4) write a reference letter for the applicant (with the university's
> contact information)
> 5) rename the file following instructions and save it as a PDF
> 6) upload the reference
> 7) send a hard copy version to the university
>
> Maybe I am complaining too much?  And maybe this may only take 20
> minutes?  But, multiply that five times, with each university or
> foundation having different requirements, and you have a full day's
> work!  And, also along the way, my recommenders (some of whom
> arrived at the computer age as adults) have issues. They have
> problems with the web page or the login or they cannot figure out
> how to rename the file or they don't have a PDF program, or 'it
> looks like my reference was saved but it wasn't."
>
> I long for the "olden days."  It was civilized then.
>
> Old Process
>
> 1) get recommendation
> 2) mail it to five places
>

> Millicent

Douglas Barbour

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest books:
Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664
Wednesdays'
http://abovegroundpress.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-from-aboveground-press_10.html

There is much to be said in favor of modern journalism. By giving us
the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the
ignorance of the community.

  		Oscar Wilde