Every so often we talk about writing little reviews for each other
here, but we seldom do much about it (mea maxima culpa, BTW).

I'm reading poetry quite a lot, & recently, after years of not doing
anything, I've at least been writing short note about each book. I'm
not about to drop a load of those on you, but I've just been reading
Mark Weiss's new book, As Landscape, & want to pass on a few thoughts
about this fine volume.

Mark Weiss. As Landscape (Chax Press 2010).

Mark Weiss writes perception especially well, taking that term in as
wide a sense as Pound took 'image.' Weiss takes his place in the
tradition of USAmerican poetics that descends from Pound, Williams, &
others. in his 'A Provisional Poetics,' an essay concluding As
Landscape, he speaks to the way that provisionality works, in a
poetics of process that pays as close attention to all the world that
he encounters. The poems themselves demonstrate how such a provisional
process operates, carefully avoiding what he calls 'The language
impoverished by forethought.'  Each section of these serial poems
(serial both in the book's 4 sections, & in each poem) arrives, was
caught on the move by the writer, in an act of perception that gets
inscribed most often as image, often moving. Weiss is especially good
as rendering what's seen, or heard, or felt/touched, in closely
observed quick cuts.

i fund the casual (& certainly not causal) development of each poem
fascinating; many of the small bits seem at first unconnected, but
their accumulation works, & I never felt dissatisfied by the end. the
breaks allow the reader to fill in the lacunae in whatever way s/he
can or wishes to. The individual 'stanzas' (I'll call them) stand well
on their own, almost haiku-like in their intense articulation of
percept. Often they render 'landscape,' if we take that term to
include soundscapes, historical marks & inscriptions, bodies. Only in
the final section, 'From Darkest Europe,' do the two poems, 'Begins
and Ends with Blood' & 'From Darkest Europe,' offer something like  an
'argument,' but even there it's carried by the perceptual images.

An example? Here's the first stanza from 'XXVI' of 'Figures: 32 Poems':

Some sort of weird distortion. In the distance
under the mist
gulls on the beach the size of turkeys. A heat mirage. The air
wavers, the ruck on the sand
appears to skate on water.

I like both the specificity of the images, & the way the
(re)presentation reveals something about the observer. Weiss also has
a fine sense of line, & line breaks; there's a sound rhythmic motion
to all the poems here.

Which means As Landscape is a damn good book. It definitely brings the
reader into touch with any number of & kinds of landscape,' but that
'As' reminds us that there's a lot more going on.

Douglas Barbour

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest books:
Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664
Wednesdays'
http://abovegroundpress.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-from-aboveground-press_10.html

There is much to be said in favor of modern journalism. By giving us
the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the
ignorance of the community.

  		Oscar Wilde