Hello All,
I would like to inform you of an initiative, and invite you into a
continued discussion with the Beyond Behaviour Change Research Group
that is operating from within the Centre for Design at RMIT University.
http://www.rmit.edu.au/cfd/beyondbehaviour.
The Beyond Behaviour Change (Beyond BC) research group is exploring
opportunities to facilitate change that move beyond the current focus on
individual resource consumption and behaviour to consider why and how
people consume within a broader social, cultural, technical and
institutional context. Our inter-disciplinary team of social scientists,
material geographers, industrial designers, urban planners and engineers
takes a unique approach to behaviour change research and evaluation by
shifting emphasis away from individuals (and their drivers and barriers
for change), and onto the social practices people participate in. The
group builds on the recently completed Australian Research Council
Linkage project ‘Carbon Neutral Communities’, which included an
evaluation of 100 behaviour change programs.
Drawing on the theory of 'social practices', the group is engaged in
projects and activities that seek to identify avenues for change that
add new dimensions (and establish alternatives) to familiar economic and
psychological approaches and theories dominating the resource and
environmental sectors, such as rational action, consumer choice,
information provision, demand management and market mechanisms. We see
the potential to draw on practice theory to inform the design of our
built world (from products, architecture and urban planning) to script
outcomes for sustainability.
The team conducts applied research, undertakes inter-disciplinary
projects, supports Higher Education by Research (HDR) candidates, and
provides other collaborative opportunities to engage with the research
agenda, such as through a social practice theory reading group. For
further information and contact details please visit our Beyond
Behaviour Change web page: http://www.rmit.edu.au/cfd/beyondbehaviour.

Regards,

Stephen

Dr Stephen Clune