Hi outres,

I wonder what is the future of linear process models in outdoor learning?

[Linear process model: whether the line is in the
form of a cycle, spiral, wave or flow chart, the
line traces the sequence in which learning happens.]

Prof Phil Race wrote: "Any model based on a cycle
won't do". His alternative was his Ripples on a
Pond model in which all factors are involved at the same time.

But James' criticism would also apply to Race's
model: if you can take out one ripple and
learning is still taking place, then that ripple
is an optional extra is not an essential part of the model.

Boud and Schön (also Kelly) have pointed out how
reflection is not simply something you do after
the experience, but also before it and during it.
So why do we keep pushing sequential models that
place reflection only as an event that follows an
experience? To do so distracts attention from the
value of reflecting at any time throughout OAE.

And there is an equally valid
parallel/complementary argument that I have long
been promoting which is that reflection is itself
a significant experience and that paying
attention to the quality of the experience
(reflective or active) is important throughout
OAE. Linear process models imply that experience
happens at only one stage in the sequence and
does not happen while passing through subsequent
stages until you reach the next experience.

Is it not possible that experience and reflection
can be simultaneous and intense, and that using
models that break down holistic processes into
component sequential stages serves very little
purpose - while destroying the power of OAE as a form of holistic learning?

Does anyone else share these concerns or know of
articles, books or forums where there is an
interest in seeking and developing alternative
ways of modelling holistic forms of education?

Roger

Roger Greenaway
Reviewing Skills Training
<http://reviewing.co.uk>