Re: the future of linear process models in outdoor learning Hi All – I was just wanting to add a bit more Dewey stuff to a great discussion with fantastic posts

The “logical version of pragmatism” (Dewey, Essays in Experimental Logic, 1916, p. 331) that Dewey espoused (and which we often employ in support of models of experiential learning) was also complemented by his notion of “esthetic experience” (Dewey, Art as Experience, 1934, p. 274), which we rarely hear mentioned in discourses associated with experiential learning/education.

“Esthetic experience is experience in its integrity. Had not the term ‘pure’ been so often abused in philosophic literature, had it not been so often employed to suggest that there is something alloyed, impure, in the very nature of experience and to denote something beyond experience, we might say that esthetic experience is pure experience. For it is experience freed from the forces that impede and confuse its development as experience; freed, that is, from factors that subordinate an experience as it is directly had to something beyond itself. To esthetic experience, then, the philosopher must go to understand what experience is” (Art as experience, p. 274).

Aesthetic experience, experience directly had, “immediate” experience, was a central problem for Dewey in his philosophizing. Such experience was characterized not by reflective thinking, but by affective or “qualitative thinking” (Qualitative thought, 1930, p. 18) - i.e., thinking as feeling, or feeling as a form of thinking (“non-reflective”  thinking [Essays in Experimental Logic, 1916, p. 137fn]). If we take Dewey’s “general features of reflective experience” (Democracy and Education, 1916, p. 176), which expressed his logical version of pragmatism (and supports models of experiential learning), we can glimpse how steps 1 and 5 are concerned with emergence of a problem within aesthetic experience, and return to aesthetic experience. Dewey’s sense of a situation is important here.

“They are (i) perplexity, confusion, doubt, due to the fact that one is implicated in an incomplete situation whose full character is not yet determined; (ii) a conjectural anticipation – a tentative interpretation of the given elements, attributing to them a tendency to effect certain consequences; (iii) a careful survey (examination, inspection, exploration, analysis) of all attainable consideration which will define and clarify the problem in hand; (iv) a consequent elaboration of the tentative hypothesis to make it more precise and more consistent, because squaring with a wider range of facts; (v) taking one stand upon the projected hypothesis as a plan of action which is applied to the existing state of affairs: doing something overtly to bring about the anticipated result, and thereby testing the hypothesis” (Democracy and education, p. 176).

So the process is not linear as A to B, but circular as A to A’, anchored in aesthetic experience (A). Dewey grappled with this notion of aesthetic experience but was hampered by a linear sense of time. A linear sense of time renders immediate experience as ineffable; “the immediacy of experience is ineffable” (Experience and nature, p. 73), as any reflective thinking (analysis) of it is always analysis of something in the past. In other words, immediate experience is not immediately accessible if time is only thought as linear. However a non-linear, non-processual sense of time, time as understood phenomenologically by Heidegger, does enable further thinking, qualitative thinking (phenomenological), of aesthetic experience, of being-there (Dasein). In this sense Dasein is aesthetic experience. It is not non-linear in the sense of being complex (as this is still a cause-effect way of thinking as in reflective experience) but rather as simple – the simple aesthetic unity of our being-there as we go about our lives every day (before and after any need for problem solving). Heidegger acknowledged that the simple is the most difficult.

In education, Dewey’s aesthetic experience was expressed in his notions of occupation and interest, which he had difficulty communicating because they were perceived to be vocational education as we know it today, or interest as sugar coating and pandering. But this is not what he meant (as we know). Vocational education was education as preparation, anathema to Dewey’s understanding of education. Yet Dewey espoused “education through occupations” (Democracy and education, p. 361) as how education should be conducted. If we think of experiential education in this way, as anchored in an interest as occupation, aesthetic experience, from within which the problems that participants (as those engaged in an occupation – “the experience”) encounter emerge, then this may help us to better understand what it is we do. Learning is then phenomenological building of be-ing (aesthetic experience), as well as construction of knowledge (reflective experience). Both are held together in communion in the phenomenon of experience: phenomenology and pragmatism; aesthetic experience and reflective (scientific) experience.

Anyway, I’ve rambled on a bit; hope it makes some sense. But I think it is important to note that discourses of experiential learning/education really only scratch the surface of Dewey’s philosophizing.

Cheers

John Quay