Hi outres participants,

John (9th Sept) quotes Dewey's distinctions between different kinds of experience. Such attention to 'experience' seem to be a million miles away from how the term 'experience' is handled in the AEE definition of EE in a document referred to by Jayson in his 'end of an era' article for the AEE Journal (referred to by Jayson on 4th Sept). This document was described by AEE as the 'official' AEE DEFINITION OF EXPERIENTIAL EDUCATION (2005).

From the 13 bullet points that comprise the definition, here are four phrases mentioning 'experience' that stand out for me: In this official view of AEE (2005) I learn that experiences are designed, set, structured and chosen (carefully). It looks very much as if it is the educator who is doing the designing, setting, structuring and careful choosing. But even if it were possible (in the terms of this 'official definition') for learners to design, set, structure and choose the experiences, I find it curious that experience is understood to be something that can be managed and manipulated in such ways - whether by educators or by participants.

I cannot think of a situation in which I can 'carefully choose' an experience for myself, let alone for someone else. 'Carefully choosing' also seems worlds apart from 'adventuring into the unknown'.

This official definition of EE does not sound like the home of discovery learning, adventure education or student-centred learning. The impression is that the educator carefully chooses what the students will do and designs what students will experience. Other parts of the official definition do take a different tone: it is slightly reassuring to find that the learner 'may' (among other possibilities) 'experience ... adventure'.

It is possible that there are 'simply' different usages of the term 'experience' in different English-speaking countries. For example, the four phrases that stood out for me would stand out a little less if the word 'activity' were substituted for 'experience', as follows: These amended phrases come across as a bit less manipulative and a little more plausible and practical. But this still seems to leave a lot of power and control in the hands of the educator. (Where and how does empowerment fit in?) This official definition gives me the impression that educators are in total control of the activities (if that is, indeed, what is meant by 'experiences') but that learners are in total control of 'constructing knowledge' and 'constructing meaning'. Or are they?

To take another example from the AEE definition: 'the outcomes of experience cannot be totally predicted'. Does this translate into UK English as 'the experience of an activity cannot be totally predicted'? I could just about go along with that. The AEE version ('the outcomes of experience cannot be totally predicted') implies that experience (as well as being 'carefully chosen') can be totally predicted - but the outcomes can't. But why this interest in 'total prediction' in the world of education, especially on the experiential (and possibly adventurous) edges of this world?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has insights into these potentially different definitions and usages of 'experience' - especially as it is such a central term in OAE and EE.

always curious,

Roger

Footnote. In 2010, the 2005 document looks much the same except in the title which is now 'the principles of experiential practice' (rather than being presented as the official definition): http://www.aee.org/about/whatIsEE

Roger Greenaway
Reviewing Skills Training
< http://reviewing.co.uk>