On 23 Sep 2010, at 20:13, Josh Howlett wrote:

>> but perhaps now 6 years later I
>> could get folks interested in it (e.g., things like SAML are much more
>> widely deployed than they were back then).
>
> Well, I have to admit that I'm very vague about the specifics of XMPP. However, I understand that it supports SASL and so, through GS2, it might get Moonshot. I'm curious about the interactions between GS2 and GSS naming extensions (which is the interface that applications use to obtain attributes in Moonshot). Any SASL experts care to comment?

Virtually all of the GSSAPI SASL support in XMPP clients and servers is for "GSSAPI", not GS2. So it's all Kerberos only. Getting access to GSS naming extensions from the SASL layer is also interesting, as it's a bit of an abstraction layer violation trying to fiddle with them. Cyrus, certainly, tries to present all of its mechanisms with a uniform API.

Cheers,

Simon.