This may be of interest to list members

From: Race on the Agenda [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 21 September 2010 12:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Review of London Councils' commissioning programme

Dear Colleague,

Review of London Councils’ commissioning programme

London Councils currently awards £26.4 million funding to the voluntary and community sector each year through its commissioning programme. A significant proportion of this is targeted at disadvantaged BAME communities. London Councils is now consulting on the future of this fund, including its proposals to considerably reduce it.

We are very concerned that the process to determine the future of London Councils’ commissioning programme is being rushed through too quickly. We are concerned a significant reduction in this fund, without careful consideration, risks irreversible damage to the BAME voluntary and community sector and other equality sectors in London.

We urge you to respond to the online consultation which closes on 10 November, highlighting the continued need for the London Councils’ commissioning programme. VSF have produced a hard copy of the online consultation for groups to use to prepare their responses or just to review the questions and there is also a background paper which should be read before beginning any response.

If you would like help completing a response, please contact Barbara Nea on [log in to unmask] or 020 7729 1177. Alternatively, if you have any evidence on the importance of funding pan-London, sub-regional and cross-borough projects that address inequality, for example, in relation to health, violence and victimisation and poverty, please email [log in to unmask] to inform ROTA’s response.

ROTA is also working with MiNet and Voluntary Sector Forum (VSF) to inform London Councils consultation. Through its campaign, VSF have produced a range of resources including template letters you can use to write to local councillors and MPs with any concerns you have about the impact of cutting this fund.

Additionally, you can attend VSF’s annual conference to be held on 29th September to inform the consultation and also attend workshops on partnerships and mergers; measuring impact and financial sustainability.

Kind regards

Waterloo Business Centre

117 Waterloo Road

London SE1 8UL

Tel. 020 7902 1177

Fax 020 7921 0036

www.rota.org.uk

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail or its attachments.

The information contained in this email and any attachments is intended only for the use of the named recipient(s). If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses. If you are the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic messages from us in future then please respond to the sender to this effect.

If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email purportedly sent by us, please contact Race on the Agenda immediately on 020 7902 1177