In the same manner as country rock can become ores depending upon the
changing prices of metals, gangue substances or components of gangue can
become worthwhile or valuable due to changes in economics or improved
metallurgical extraction technology. Dr. Hartill's note gives good examples.
 Even gold can be a component of gangue if in a so-called refractory form
until a means of recovery is achieved.

Noel Kirshenbaum