That's a big question! In essence it comes down to boundaries. These are set at the contracting stage and should only be moved if both parties agree. Moving the boundaries will inevitably change the nature of the relationship to one of counsellor or even friend, rather than coach. I use a written contract at the outset of my relationship with each client. We agree terms at the outset so that expectations are clear on both sides.

It is impossible to coach someone once you have a counsellor/friend relationship. Using the TA model, a coaching relationship is one between two adults. Dilemmas are heard and techniques are suggested for progressing forward. The client takes on the technique (or not) and progress is reviewed at the following session. If the boundary is crossed, it is likely that a parent/child relationship will develop. The coach is seen as the sympathetic 'expert'. Once elevated as such, the coach naturally disempowers the client and the client naturally takes the victim role. While there is no doubt a place for counselling, friendship and support, it is by nature a different relationship with different objectives and outcomes.

As an NLP business practioner, I do use NLP techniques. I introduce these discreetly into the coaching process and choose not to label or name them. These techniques are useful but NLP is not an exclusive solution.

Hannah has not yet responded but I'm sure she will contribute once she becomes availble.