Sue

From: E-list for the Medieval Settlement Research Group
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of ALISON ROBERTA KYLE
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2010 12:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: TAG 2010 - Make-do and Mend: The Archaeologies of Compromise?

Dear all,

This is a call for papers for the session we are organising at this years
TAG conference, which takes place from 17th-19th December in Bristol.
Abstracts of c. 250 words are invited and time slots of 20 mins will be
allocated to each paper. Abstracts must be submitted via the TAG website -
to do this click on 'Propose a paper' at the bottom of the abstract at this
link:
http://www.nomadit.co.uk/tag/tag2010/panels.php5?PanelID=839

The deadline for abstract submissions for this session is Friday 24th
September 2010.

Make-do and mend: the archaeologies of compromise?
Ben Jervis (University of Southampton), Alison Kyle (University of Glasgow)

This session considers the artefact, ecofact and building reuse and the use
of alternative, sometimes inefficient, methods or materials in past
manufacture and resource exploitation. Papers should bring together the
archaeometric analyses which identify these phenomena and the social
interpretation of these findings.

In their consideration of artefact variability, Schiffer and Skibo (1997)
suggest that artefacts are a compromise between efficiency in manufacture
and use. We will question this assertion: is the reuse of objects, and the
use of inefficient materials, really a compromise or do they have more
deep-rooted cultural implications?
Further questions to be addressed include what does the active, physical
engagement with objects, required during their repair, tell us about the
value of the object in question - whether intrinsic or cultural. Does the
lengthening of an objects biographical history through repair impart a
cumulative cultural significance upon repaired, as opposed to non-repaired
objects? If we accept that material culture had an active meaning, do
instances of repair represent maintenance of the original cultural meaning
of the object, or the creation of a new hybridised meaning?
We invite papers dealing with the reuse or recycling of artefacts, either
for their original or an alternative function, skeuomorphism, or evidence of
adaptability to changes in context in the archaeological record. Papers
should offer an interpretation of these observations, but also be grounded
in the archaeometric analysis of objects, structures, faunal or
environmental remains.

PhD Student

Department of Archaeology

University of Glasgow

Room 322, Gregory Building, Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow, G12 8QQ
Telephone: +44 (0) 141 330 3925
Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

Web:
<http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/archaeology/research/students/akyle/>
http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/archaeology/research/students/akyle/