Category 1 = "virtual members"
Category 2 = "personal members"

Alan Howell

-----Original Message-----
From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mia
Sent: 03 September 2010 14:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: A question for MCGers - membership category names

Hello MCGers!

The MCG committee (http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/about/mcg-committee/)
have been working on the membership category changes approved at the last
AGM, and we want to make sure the membership category names work for our
current and potential members.

We've got a somewhat unusual membership structure that takes into account
both the importance of this list creating a community of members, and the
legal requirements for our charity/non-profit status, and it makes naming
the categories a little tricky - in particular, we'd really like your help
with naming 'Category 2'.

Our tireless secretary John Williams has put together the following
information about the membership categories (below).  You can reply on-list
or directly to John ([log in to unmask]) or me.

'MCG members may connect with the group in a number of ways depending on how
close you want your relationship with the group to be - you may only want to
participate in the discussions on the MCG Mailing List, you might only want
to attend the occasional meeting, or you might decide you want to be
involved in the running of the group. There are options for everyone. In
general the more you participate the greater the discount we offer you for
meetings fees and the UKMW annual conference.

There are four classes of membership and we want your help to decide what to
call the different types of membership. This is more difficult than it first
appears. Your committee has discussed this on a number of occasions and have
yet to come to a firm decision.

CATEGORY 1 (currently called 'online membership')
The first category consists of everyone who is a current member of the MCG
Mailing list. Members at this level can join in the wide ranging
conversations and well as seek help and support on this friendly, well
regarded and high quality list. These members are encourage to participate
in all aspects of our development and policy work.

Membership is currently FREE and meetings fees attract a small discount.

CATEGORY 2 (currently nameless - help!)
The second category is ideally suited to people who want to get more
involved in MCG activities. This is a single individual membership and may
not be transferred to anyone else. In addition to all the benefits of the
first group members in this category form the governing body of the group.
They have a vote at the Annual General Meeting, elect the committee and
become a committee member. To recognise this greater commitment to the group
 we offer substantial discounts at MCG Meetings and UKMW.

Membership is FREE and meetings fees are substantially discounted.

This is the category for which we're having trouble finding a name.  Some
suggestions have been 'associate members' or 'registered members'.  If
you're a member of similar groups, how have they described these members?
 Or if you were listing membership of the MCG on your CV, how would you
describe it?

CATEGORY 3 (currently called 'corporate membership')
Our third class of membership is open to organisations that support the work
of MCG and is ideal for those organisations who want flexibility in who they
send to MCG meetings. This membership allows organisation to send up to five
members of staff to MCG meetings.  Members at this level have all the
benefits of those above and additionally may transfer entitlement to
benefits to anyone in the organisation providing the total number of
delegates does not exceed FIVE.

Membership currently costs £100 per annum. To recognise this support
meetings fees for standard MCG meetings are included in the subscription and
there are substantial discounts on UKMW for up to five staff from the
organisation.

CATEGORY 4
Our final category is life membership awarded by the group to those people
who are considered to have made a important contribution to the work of the
sector. This category carries the same benefits as the second category.

So what do you think? What should we call the different categories and, if
you have time, why?'

cheers, Mia

This e-mail (including attachments) may contain sensitive and/or privileged information.  If received in error, its use by you is not authorised and may be unlawful. Please notify the sender and delete all copies immediately.  E-mails may be subject to error, interference and virus and no liability is accepted for loss or damage however it arises and whether direct or indirect. Service of legal proceedings by e-mail may not be accepted.

E-mails may be monitored for compliance purposes. All documents are subject to copyright.