Forwarded to lis-ukbibs; apologies for cross-posting.

________________________________
From: Cara Watson [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 22 September 2010 10:19
To: LIS-UKBIBS ([log in to unmask])
Subject: CILIP TRAINING: October courses

Our October courses are booking fast, with just a few places left on many courses. Make sure you secure your place by provisionally booking online. A provisional booking comes with no financial commitment – it simply holds you a place for 10 days to allow you to arrange any paperwork.

Don’t forget - CILIP members receive up to 40% discount on all CILIP training.

Evaluating the impact of public libraries
6 October 2010, London
How good is your library service? How can you measure the impact you make on the community and people’s lives? Move beyond performance indicators and consider the differences between monitoring efficiency and evaluating impact to see the effectiveness of your library or information service.

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/evaluating-impact-public-libraries.aspx

Going beyond Google      *2 places left*
7 October 2010, London
Discover the ‘invisible web’ – what search engines can’t find easily! A practical hands-on course that will show you Google’s limitations and broaden your understanding of other useful search engines and information discovery tools.

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/going-beyond-google.aspx

MARC 21: an introduction
26-27 October 2010, London
Sound knowledge of MARC 21 is a key element in professional effectiveness when cataloguing in an online environment. Providing a structured introduction to MARC 21, this course is essential to LIS professionals involved in quality online data creation.

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/marc-21-an-introduction.aspx

Making the most of the school library catalogue
12 October 2010, London
Unravel the mysteries of cataloguing and classification and learn how to adapt it to the school environment.  Learn how to tweak a standard classification system and explore keywording so your catalogue can be easily used by students.

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/making-the-most-of-the-school-library-catalogue.aspx

Practical project management for LIS staff   *2 places left*
19-20 October 2010, London
Learn the general principles and techniques of good project management and apply these to real workplace projects within the library and information field. Confidently manage your project budget, your project team and understand risk assessment and management.

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/practical-project-management-lis-staff.aspx

Twitter for librarians           *3 places left*
13 OCTOBER 2010, London
Learn how to ‘tweet’! A highly practical course to discover more about Twitter, it’s role within the library and what librarians are doing with it.

FULL DETAILS: http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/twitter-librarians.aspx

Stakeholder management in academic libraries
28 October 2010, London
Success in managing an academic library depends on your influencing skills and your ability to establish and maintain a network of useful relationships. Learn how to build a portfolio of materials for stakeholder identification and analysis and look at ways of forming and sustaining good relationships in partnerships and alliance.

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/stakeholder-management-academic-libraries.aspx

Using the Internet to find legal information        *3 places left*
21 October 2010, London
Become an effective searcher and user of electronic legal information. Identify appropriate free sites to find legal information and select commercial websites with confidence.

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/using-internet-find-legal-information.aspx

Shaping the library's future: tools for innovation
12 October 2010, London
Our success in shaping our future will depend on improving our skills in innovative thinking!
This course provides a toolkit of creative techniques such as force field analysis, brainstorming, De Bono's 6 hats, creative swiping, visualisation and breakthrough thinking as ways to explore and evaluate ideas, translating them into practical actions.

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/shaping-librarys-future.aspx

Strategic thinking and planning for workplace LIS staff
6 October 2010, London
It’s much easier to attend to operational tasks, meeting short term goals than it is to think and plan strategically. This one-day course will provide you with the tools and techniques to help set a direction, planning long term goals and thinking and working more strategically.

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/strategic-thinking-planning-workplace-lis-staff.aspx

Managing the library budget
28 October 2010, London
Gain the knowledge, tools and confidence to manage your library’s budget - understand cost centres, cashflow forecasts, financial management reporting, variance analysis and learn the corrective measures to keep your budget on track.

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/managing-library-budget.aspx

Don’t forget all CILIP Members receive a 40% discount on all our training courses.
Browse all our courses online: http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/default.aspx

Can’t make it to our London training venue? Why not have our training brought to you with our Onsite training programme. Any of the above courses can be delivered direct to your workplace if you have 5 or more people with training needs.
Find out more:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/onsitetraining/pages/default.aspx

Forwarded by:

Gordon Dunsire
Head
Centre for Digital Library Research
University of Strathclyde

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC015263