I know a number of authorities are reviewing their current library technology infrastructure to make efficiency savings and also as a means to deliver a better ‘user experience’ and deliver new services.

Whilst the Library Management Systems (LMS) is not the whole picture there are some interesting examples of the business case for change and information on the savings anticipated through replacing the LMS.  A few examples have been posted on the  Local Authority Library Technology  (LGLibTech) website  http://lglibtech.wikispaces.com/LMS+Business+case

They include examples of where libraries have joined consortia to share a system. We will no doubt also see some moves by local authorities to open source LMSs in the near future.

Ken

Tel +44 (0)7788 727 845. Email: [log in to unmask]  www.kenchadconsulting.com

Skype: kenchadconsulting  Twitter: @KenChad