Dear David,

You don’t even have to do that complicated a search to see the disparity between the two databases. Try searching PubMed with “Family relations” as a MeSH Term and compare that to when you search HIR for “Family relations” as a thesaurus term. I got 58596 for the first and 5874 for the second – that is not a typo! 10 times more results on PubMed than HIR. So unless I’m doing something completely stupid (and someone please tell me if I am!) then I’d recommend going with PubMed every time.

Regards,

Daniel Croft

From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cleland, David
Sent: 01 September 2010 14:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: 'why should I use Medline via NHS Athens instead of Pubmed?'

Dear List,

I've been teaching doctors and medical students how to use Medline via the NHS Evidence Health Information Resources for around three years (yes I'm still no' but a lad).  I'm still very often asked what are the benefits of logging in and using Medline to search for literature instead of Pubmed?

Doctors seem very keen to use Pubmed.  I guess many of them have always searched this way and have grown familiar and comfortable with using Pubmed.  I'm quite the opposite, I'm familiar and comfortable using Medline.

Whenever I'm teaching I like to be in a position where I can answer the questions confidence (obviously), and give my learners the best possible advice.  So I decided I should step outside of my comfort zone and practice using Pubmed, I though it better understand literature searching from the same approach many of the doctors seem to be taking.

To practice I made an identical search using both Medline and Pubmed, and I was surprised by different quantity of results between the two.

The following search returned 256 references in Pubmed:

Measles"[Majr] AND "Disease Outbreaks/statistics and numerical data"[Mesh]

compared with the same search in Medline which provided 142 references:

1. MEDLINE; *MEASLES/; 7986 results.

2. MEDLINE; DISEASE OUTBREAKS/sn [sn=Statistics & Numerical Data]; 3989 results.

3. MEDLINE; 1 AND 2; 142 results.

I understand that Pubmed contains references to articles which are 'ahead of print' and so this might increase Pubmed's tally of references - but am curious to know why there are so many more.

For the moment I'm left in a quandary.  I still feel unable to confidently answer the question 'why should I use Medline via NHS Athens instead of Pubmed?'

Any feedback and suggestions would be most welcome.

Kind regards,

David Cleland

Library Administrator
Library
East Riding Medical Education Centre (ERMEC)
Hull Royal Infirmary

Anlaby Road

HULL

HU3 2JZ

Telephone: 01482 604323

The views expressed in this e-mail and any attachments are personal and, unless stated explicitly, do not represent the views of Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust. Furthermore, Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust will not be bound by this e-mail.

Although Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust endeavours to ensure that all systems are virus-free, the  Trust will not be liable for any losses as a result of any virus contained within this email or attachment(s).

The content of this email and any attachment is private and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying or forwarding of this email and/or its attachments is unauthorised. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by email and delete this message and any attachments immediately. Nothing in this email shall bind the Trust in any contract or obligation, unless we have specifically agreed to be bound.

Virus Warning:

Although this email and any attachment are believed to be free from viruses, which might affect any system into which they are received or opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free.  Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising in any way from their receipt, opening or use.