Dear All,

A reminder that if you would like to contribute to the revised 6th edition of the Core Collection of Medical Books, the deadline is 30th September 2010.

There are a number of subject areas where we have not yet received any feedback so please take a moment to have your say.

The titles from the last edition have been loaded onto a collection on Library Thing and we are seeking feedback on which titles are still useful for each subject area and recommendations for new books - brief instructions are available at http://www.cilip.org.uk/get-involved/special-interest-groups/health/core-collections/Documents/Core%20Collection%20of%20Medical%20Books%20Briefing%20paper.pdf

All contributors will be acknowledged in the final printed version which should be published at the end of the year.

Kind Regards,

Helene

Hélène Gorring

Library Services Manager

Birmingham & Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust

Tel: 0121 685 7449

Fax: 0121 685 7474

Core Collection of Medical Books

Are you able to help us compile the new 6th  edition?

Background

The Core Collection of Medical Books has been a useful acquisition tool for health librarians for almost twenty years. This list is now produced by HLG and published by Tomlinsons. We are currently revising the 5th edition which was published in 2006 to produce an updated edition later this year.

We are using Library Thing, an interactive 'social cataloguing' web tool, to facilitate our consultation with health librarians.

The working list has been updated with new editions and out of date books have been removed.

We are very keen to get your feedback on new titles which should be included and feedback on titles which should be excluded.

We will acknowledge all contributors to the revised list, in the new printed

Scope

Remember to consider the aims of the core collection when making suggestions:

* Target audience - UK health libraries

* Medium - Books only

* Level - Material relevant to undergraduate, postgraduate and working health professionals, but not research workers.

Timetable

Suggestions and comments should be made by 30th September 2010.

The HLG Core Collections working group will consider and edit additional comments and suggestions and a print edition will be published by Tomlinsons by the end of 2010. A web version of the collection will also be available online either on Library Thing and a dedicated website.

Using Librarything.com

1. Go to www.librarything.com

2. Log in : Username: medcorecollection, Password: ciliphlg

3. Select the tab Your Books

4. Click on

To comment on the existing collection

5. Click the tag/subject category of books you would like to comment on

6. A list of books will appear. To endorse a title, double click on the comments box, add your text, and save. Please add your name to your comments.

7. Please also comment if you think an item should be removed from the

collection - but do not delete them!

To suggest a new book to the Medical Core Collection

1. Click on the tab Add books

2. Search for your book using your preferred method e.g. entering title or

scanning the barcode

3. A list of titles will be shown on the right- the default catalogue is British

Library, but if the title is not found, choose Search Elsewhere to select a

different database

4. Click on the title to add it to the Core Collection

5. Your title will now be at the top of a list entitled Recently Added

6. Click on Edit Book next to the title of your book

7. You will now see a record for your book, Enter your tag for your book in the

Tags box - write the tag descriptor exactly

8. Enter comments in the Comments field, including your name and that this is

a recommendation from you and a brief rationale. Please record your views

even if another person has already made the same comment so that we can

gauge the level of consensus on whether a book should be added. Don't

forget to save!

If you contribute to the collection, please also send a brief email to

[log in to unmask] with your job role and the organisation for which

you work so that we can credit you in the final version.

For further information, please contact: Richard Jones at the BMA Library, on

This e-mail may contain confidential information some or all of which may be legally privileged and subject to legislation; such as the Data protection Act, the Freedom of Information Act, the Computer Misuse Act etc.

It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please accept our apologies, do not read, use, copy, distribute, print or disclose any of the information contained within and inform the author immediately before deleting.

All views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states these to be the views of the BSMHFT.