The American Library Association (ALA) has just published a useful report:
'Value of Academic Libraries: A Comprehensive Research Review and Report'.
You can download the report from http://www.acrl.ala.org/value/

Whilst it has a US and academic focus UK public librarians should also find
it useful ( there is a short exec summary available). I was particularly
interested to see an issue close to my heart feature very high on the list
of 'next steps':

'Develop systems to collect data on individual library user behaviour..'

This is something that is most certainly relevant to academic  *and* public
libraries. I was involved in the JISC MOSAIC project
(http://www.sero.co.uk/jisc-mosaic.html  ) . It explored this potential
'goldmine' of data that sits in our systems but which remain almost wholly
unexploited.  Part of the value is to drive recommender systems which are
still absent from most library catalogues. Dave Pattern at University of
Huddersfield has shown us what can be done (without waiting for the LMS
vendors to come up with solutions ). He is also doing work to relate
*outcomes* to library usage. So the data can be used in all kinds of
interesting and useful ways. Privacy is a key concern of course and there is
a body of research on those issues and how they can be managed.

Ken

CEO, Ken Chad Consulting Ltd

Tel +44 (0)7788 727 845. Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask]   <http://www.kenchadconsulting.com/>
www.kenchadconsulting.com

Skype: kenchadconsulting  Twitter: @KenChad

Check out the Higher Education Library Technology' website (wiki)
<http://lglibtech.wikispaces.com/> http://helibtech.com/