On 15 Sep 2010, at 16:29, Louise Egan wrote:

The recent ALT-C 2010 conference saw the final six winners in the Jorum Learning and Teaching Competition present their resources, and receive their prizes, with those taking the top three places announced at the gala dinner

This competition is designed to promote people sharing learning resources, and that's fantastic.

Since this is a repositories list though, I feel duty bound to point out that none of the six winners' resources are actually deposited in the Jorum repository (just metadata records with a web link to the actual location). While there's nothing wrong with that (sharing links to material is a perfectly fine, noble and helpful activity, especially in education) I can't help but feel alarmed that the winning resource is not located on an institution's servers, but on the author's personal website which is headed with the comment "This website is currently under development. In the meantime, you might like to check out my page at academia.edu instead."

Since one of the raisons d'etre of repositories is to provide persistent, safe access to valuable material, perhaps the competition organisers might work with the winner to obtain a copy of the winning resource, in case her website development takes a turn for the unexpected :-)
--
Les (preservation curmudgeon) Carr