thank you kindly david
& i dont think you are missing anything
but have just uncovered something that is often missed
which is that thalweg boundaries
by their intrinsic intent to facilitate traffic
tend to stretch their regimes of vague sharing & indefinite delimitation
into fullblown mutual easement
or even universal innocent passage & benign disregard if that is not pushing
it too far

but johns perceptive wager that administrative practices will have observed
the river itself as the de facto boundary fits right in with this view

& if the river is broad enough or desolate enough to resemble the sea in
those regards
then the riparian parties dont even have to be on especially good terms for
a regime of laissez aller by whatever name to work just fine
simply because going merrily & gently downstream is better than looking for
trouble
& given half a chance grace will emerge & prevail

so thank you both for bringing that out too

& anton thank you for your compliments & for persevering thru your
difficulty

about the etymology of thalweg
perhaps i should just defer to your obviously better knowledge of viennese
&
your ornate legend will also remain beautiful & true regardless of what
follows

but my earlier suspicion
that the geological definition of thalweg
still numbered 1 here below
tho conceptually simpler than the navigational ones numbered 2 & 3
might actually be a later rationalization of them
now appears to have been well founded

for i see westlake here on p144
http://www.scribd.com/doc/27909208/John-Westlake-International-Law-Tomo-01-Peace-1910
says
thal in the sense of valley enters into thalweg only indirectly

& he continues
the immediate origin of the word lies in the use of berg & thal to express
the upward & downward directions on a stream
like amont & aval in french

& i see guthrie here
http://books.google.com/books?id=_4CQ2OjipLoC&pg=PA401&lpg=PA401&dq=bergweg+thalweg&source=bl&ots=wvjr-uHwWg&sig=DS3Po6-eG1maOn03q0XNQSnLD-c&hl=en&ei=4SKdTISsJsX_lgfd7OXZCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBgQ6AEwATgU#v=onepage&q=bergweg%20thalweg&f=false
writing in the year thalweg first appeared in a boundary agreement as a term
of art
gives a rare & very clear example of the usage westlake describes for both
thalweg & bergweg

<http://books.google.com/books?id=_4CQ2OjipLoC&pg=PA401&lpg=PA401&dq=bergweg+thalweg&source=bl&ots=wvjr-uHwWg&sig=DS3Po6-eG1maOn03q0XNQSnLD-c&hl=en&ei=4SKdTISsJsX_lgfd7OXZCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBgQ6AEwATgU#v=onepage&q=bergweg%20thalweg&f=false>so
as much as i would like to agree with you
because i know you are going out of your way to be agreeable
i must turn about & conclude definition number 2 actually came first
& that what may have seemed glaringly obvious is actually not so

indeed at the maiden appearance of thalweg in the text of the treaty of
luneville it is clear that the term made its debut only in the second sense
i have enumerated rather than the first
& it is equally clear that the third sense had not yet been thought of
either

for in the early 19th century when boundary rivers still had the character
of frontiers & sometimes even formal condominiums
an entire navigational channel rather than only its center line could in
fact still be stipulated & agreed as a boundary delimtation

our necessary standard of precision today was not yet universally applied or
even observed back then

isnt that nice

& lowel thanx too
i seem to recall your doing this dance once before
when i first wondered if you had never seen a straight river channel
or were just a sidewinding meanderer of a fluvial geomorphologist

did you call us stuffy

but let me say to lowel & anton both
since you both appear to be such zealots of the deepest continuous line
persuasion
i must reverse myself again to differ with you
hahaha
for i have also just learned
or rather have confirmed in the interim since my own previous pontifications
that geological thalwegs are in fact commonly discontinuous

& perhaps never continuous from headspring to mouth

yes that classic trickle you describe will almost surely stop somewhere &
pool up
& most probably much sooner than later
as anyone who has ever watched a river like say the rio grande go dry well
knows

& i should have mentioned that anomaly up front too
for i didnt mean to pull a bait & switch on you
but only to let the games begin straight away

cheers all