great thanxxx john for these advances & suggestion & demand for updated discussion

& i would guzzle any stray drafts from the previous fantastic discussion
should they ever trickle out
but for now let me just perhaps go back upstream a bit regarding the terms thalweg & boundary

the 3 different possible meanings of thalweg in relation to boundaries appear to be

the succession of deepest points or the deepest continuous line in the river bed

the main channel used by navigators when traveling downstream

the median line of that main channel

the first of these
tho it may actually be a rationalization of the second
at least appears to convey the simplest & most basic possible sense of the word
while the others appear to be progressively derived from it

& tho the second meaning may well be the most commonly used cited & understood today in relation to boundaries
& is sometimes even considered to be its only proper legal definition
nevertheless it is by no means the universal necessary or exclusive meaning

indeed for purposes of boundary delimitation
a channel
especially a major navigational channel
would seem to have the glaring defect of not being a purely linear feature at all
& of thus producing only an absurdity in that regard
even if it is the legal standard

which i therefore doubt

for indeed the breadth of a channel suits it far less to be a boundary than a frontier

in fact
let me say it
a channel cant be a boundary line at all

& no matter whether the frontier zone it produces has de jure or de facto a condominial character or a nondominial character
or whether it is even noticed or ignored
it is still not a line but an area
& a physical fact bound to have consequences a mere line wouldnt have

perhaps equally important to notice & distinguish from the start is the fact that downstream navigation channels dont always follow the deepest & steepest line

so thalweg can mean not just 2 but 3 different things at once side by side in the same river if its intended meaning is not stated

notable too is the fact that thalweg boundaries sometimes occur in nonnavigable rivers
& sometimes extend above the height of navigation in navigable ones
notwithstanding that it may seem nonsensical for them to do so

& in such locations the term thalweg couldnt possibly have navigational significance but could only have the first of the meanings stated above
despite the expressly navigational sense it may also have farther downstream

another glitch built into the second & third definitions is the fact that the full lateral extent of a navigation channel is often highly variable & or uncertain
& is thus often unknown or unknowable
much the same as the location of the precise center line of such a channel

& like all delimitations based on channels generally
most delimitations based expressly on center lines of channels
tho on true lines at least
would still appear to be only hypothetical & approximative guesses at best

& so they too still smack more of frontiers than of true boundaries

their uncertainty may simply be less extreme or extensive than that of the full channels

but in addition to that uncertainty
all 3 senses of thalweg enjoy equally & alike the uncertainty of dynamic nature
except perhaps where navigation channels are cast in concrete

well
i dont mean to flood yall either
especially while traveling upstream
but i do believe at least that much really had to be said up front
& then i would say let the games begin

best