I wondered if list members might be interested in the launch of our next report. Details below.

Best wishes
Catherine

Medical profiling and online medicine: The ethics of 'personalised healthcare' in a consumer age

Launch of the Nuffield Council on Bioethics report

Tuesday 12 October 2010, 13:30-16:30
The Law Society, 113 Chancery Lane, London, WC2A 1PL

New developments in medical profiling and online medicine are promised by their providers as leading to a new era of 'personalised healthcare'. These developments include:

·         the commercial availability of body imaging (e.g. CT and MRI scans) as a health check and personal genetic profiling for disease susceptibility
·         the increase in websites that provide health advice, diagnosis, storage of health records, and medicines for sale.

These developments can give us increased choice and control over our health. Some may provide reassurance that we are healthy or detect disease at an earlier stage. However, they may also be difficult to interpret, create needless confusion or anxiety and follow-up testing, or lead to misplaced complacency.

Following a two-year inquiry, the UK's Nuffield Council on Bioethics will publish a report that examines the ethical issues and makes recommendations for policy and practice.

Chair: Dr Geoff Watts, Writer and Broadcaster

Speakers:
·         Christopher Hood, Chair of the Working Party and Professor of Government, University of Oxford
·         Nikolas Rose, Professor of Sociology, BIOS Centre for the Study of Bioscience, London School of Economics and Political Science
·         Jonathan Wolff, Professor of Philosophy, University College London
·         Peter C Smith, Professor of Health Policy, Imperial College Business School

Download the agenda<http://www.nuffieldbioethics.org/fileLibrary/pdf/Nuffield_launch_seminar_agenda_-_medical_profiling_and_online_medicine.pdf> (PDF)

Copies of the report will be available at the seminar. Admission is free but places must be booked in advance. To book your place, please contact:
Tel: +44 (0)20 7681 9619

For more information, please see: www.nuffieldbioethics.org/personalised<http://www.nuffieldbioethics.org/go/ourwork/personalisedhealthcare/introduction>

If you are unable to attend the seminar, copies of the report will be available to download from this website on 12 October. Printed copies can also be ordered in advance using the same contact details as above. Printed copies are free if ordered before 19 October. Following this, the report will cost £10 including postage.

Catherine Joynson
Communications Manager
Nuffield Council on Bioethics
28 Bedford Square, London WC1B 3JS