Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 22:50:07 +1000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Crazy about HE
To: [log in to unmask]

If Paris is the Buenos Aires (I'd love to go there someday soon) of Europe, then Sydney (where I'm currently based) is the Vancouver of Australia! :o)

Speaking of China, I spent a month hanging out with a friend in Shanghai and was surprised to learn that the country's news was extremely Cino-centric. And it's not like they were talking about cats stuck in trees either; China's furious urban development means that there's always some big economic venture being made in one of its dozens of big cities... but you wouldn't hear about the grand majority of these important events unless you were in the country, or paying close attention online. And just when I thought they had exhausted all the business/economy news for the day, along came the special 'Economy' segment, lol. Now that I don't think about it, the inward-looking nature of the media isn't that different to that of the USA.

Perhaps more relevant to Film-Philosophy, Nigeria is a major consumer of Bollywood films, due to their emphasis on traditional values (something the Islamic and Hindu cultures have in common), colourful clothes and a few more factors I can't recall at present. So there we have an example of developing countries looking to each other for inspiration, breaking from the [Europe looks to Africa and the Middle East, USA looks to Latin America, Australia, Canada & NZ look to Asia and the Pacific] pattern.

I love films that have an international cast and are shot in two or more continents... such a text provides such tantalising opportunities for creative cultural fusion. The last movie I saw like that was Inception, both incredibly encouraging and rather disappointing (innovative for an action movie, but unimaginative for a movie based on dream imagery; fleshing out the interior life of its characters more than the usual blockbuster, yet not as deeply as an involving drama).

Living in an interconnected world means that we have a huge amount of choice of where in the world we direct our attention. In Sydney there seems to be a new film festival opening each year - the most recent one I noticed was the Scandinavian. Then there's the Israeli, Latin American and many different European ones. I don't think there's an Indian festival but you can catch Bollywood films any time of the year due to a number of indie cinemas which screen them.

America's influence is undeniable, but the world is vast and has many creative, economic and influential hotspots, which communicate with each other as much as it (perhaps more so, depending on the region), so I agree with Michael that we live in a de-centred world, and the more curious we become about cultures that may not seem immediately accessible, the more rewarding our exploration of the world often gets. :o)

Epiphanie