Good question which could open or continue multiple message threads.

I am assuming the statistical modeling (predictive statistics) should be
analyzed scientifically for its reliability like any other prediction
rule.  If this assumption is wrong I'd like to understand why.

I have seen many suggestions for using computer modeling for
individualized risk (artificial neural networks being among the most
sophisticated of the models) as a "higher order" of evidence than
randomized trials.  But having a statistical model shown to work for one
concept does not necessarily mean that it will work for many other
concepts.  That would be like establishing that a drug works well for
one condition and then concluding other drugs work well for other
conditions so we do not need to test other drugs.

This could be considered from the "hierarchy of evidence" (levels of
evidence) or from the "pyramid of evidence (6S model) which are
different constructs for different purposes.

My take for levels of evidence (How well do the results of such modeling
represent the "truth" compared to other types of evidence?) is that it
depends on the type of clinical question.

If the question is one of prognosis (What are the likely outcomes or
likelihood of outcomes for a specific patient?) then randomized trials
are not the type of evidence primarily considered.  A validated
prediction rule could be the highest level of evidence, and the
statistical modeling is a method of providing a prediction rule.

If the question is one of treatment (Will taking one action instead of a
different action lead to a difference in likelihood of outcomes?) the
statistical modeling has the same biases as observational studies.
Statistical modeling conducted before the WHI trial (at a time when most
of the clinicians and patients believe postmenopausal hormone
replacement therapy [HRT] improved cardiovascular outcomes) would likely
suggest that HRT would reduce cardiovascular events, similar to data
suggested by observational studies. The modeling would likely be biased
in a large way by "healthier people" following advice more often
including the advice to take HRT, and not being able to account
adequately for all the variables identifying "healthier people"
(whatever that means).   However where (statistical modeling that is
individualized) and (extrapolation from randomized trials that is not
well matching the individual) fall in relative hierarchy can be debated,
with either version being favored by how far or close the randomized
trial evidence matches the individual in question.

Looking at the 6S model (pyramid of evidence) which is more of a guide
of where to look for efficiency in seeking evidence than a hierarchy of
the quality of evidence for a specific fact or assertion, the
statistical modeling can fit at any level:

Systems -- the computerized decision support that occurs automatically
within the system being used and not requiring external searching is the
most efficient -- a prediction rule incorporated into such a system
would place this statistical modeling at the top of the 6S pyramid - no
need for a seventh S.

Summaries -- resources like DynaMed that synthesize information from all
the lower parts of the pyramid and put the whole picture together.
These resources can include validated prediction rules or other
statistical modeling and make them available at this part of the
pyramid.

Synopses of Syntheses -- if the syntheses covered the statistical
modeling, then the synopsis would cover it

Syntheses -- a systematic review of statistical models, or a systematic
review of prediction rules including statistical models, would cover it.

Synopses of studies -- if the studies covered it, then the synopses
would cover it

Studies -- the original evidence that the statistical model predicts the
outcome in question.  If the studies do not exist do we have any reason
to expect reliability for the statistical modeling?

Brian S. Alper, MD, MSPH
Editor-in-Chief, DynaMed (www.ebscohost.com/dynamed)