From: Steve Simon, P.Mean Consulting [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 20 September 2010 17:46
Subject: Re: EBM vs SBM

On 9/20/2010 7:56 AM, Dr. Carlos Cuello wrote:
> Do you agree with the following sentence?:
>
> "EBM, in a nutshell, ignores prior probability† (unless there is no
> other available evidence
> <http://www.bmj.com/content/312/7023/71.extract>) and falls for the
> “/p-value fallacy
> <https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.annals.org%2Fcontent%2F130%2F12%2F995.full.pdf>/”;
>  SBM does not."
>
> on the difference between EBM and Science-based medicine.
>
> Do we need this differentiation?
>

> http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=6826

No. The gist of the science based medicine blog appears to be that we
should not encourage research into medical therapies that have no
plausible scientific mechanism. That's quite a different message, in my
opinion, that the message promoted by the p-value fallacy article by
Goodman.

I view EBM as a tripod of best available evidence, physician insight and
experience, and individual patient preferences. Take away any leg and
the tripod falls.

A plausible scientific mechanism is certainly something that can and
should be incorporated into physician insight and experience.

Everybody seems to criticize EBM for an exclusive reliance on randomized
clinical trials (RCTs). The blog uses the term "methodolatry" in this
context. A group of nurses who advocate a post-modern philosophical
approach to medical care also criticized EBM and used an even stronger
term, micro-fascism, to describe the tendency of EBM to rely exclusively
on RCTs.

But I have not seen any serious evidence of EBM relying exclusively on
RCTs. That's certainly not what David Sackett was proposing in the 1996
BMJ editorial "Evidence based medicine: what it is and what it isn't".
Trish Greenhalgh elaborates on quite clearly in her book "How to Read a
Paper: The Basics of Evidence Based Medicine" that EBM is much more than
relying on the best clinical trial. There is, perhaps, too great a
tendency for EBM proponents to rely on checklists, but that is an
understandable and forgivable excess.

So I think that this criticism of EBM is putting up a "straw man" to
knock down. No thoughtful practitioner of EBM, to my knowledge, has
suggested that EBM ignore scientific mechanisms.

I would argue further that it is a form of methodolatry to insist on a
plausible scientific mechanism as a pre-requisite for ANY research for a
medical intervention. It should be a strong consideration, but we need
to remember that many medical discoveries preceded the identification of
a plausible scientific mechanism.

There is also societal value to carefully test interventions that are
widely used in society, even when those interventions have no plausible
mechanism. These interventions are not wasteful of resources if they end
up providing evidence that a widely adopted intervention is useless.
This research will be taken more seriously by some than just a rant of
"where's the mechanism" (though there will always be some who will not
accept evidence from the RCTs either).

As to whether we should use p-values or Bayes factors (as Goodman
recommends), that is an entirely separate issue. In my general
perception, researchers will informally adopt prior distributions and
demands a higher standard of proof for interventions that have no
plausible mechanisms. If we forced people to specify priors, it would
help, but we'd not solve the problem because different people have
different interpretations of the word "plausible" in the term "plausible
scientific mechanism." Thus, their prior distributions would be equally
diverse leading to the same problems with deciding what interventions
merit further investigation.

I'm sorry if this is so critical. The blog raises important issues and
comments intelligently on them. I disagree with the need to distinguish
between SBM and EBM. Maybe we should distinguish between EBM and PIEBM
(Poorly Implemented Evidence Based Medicine).
--
Steve Simon, Standard Disclaimer
Sign up for The Monthly Mean, the newsletter that