Please reply to Adam Daubney [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

' The object is a stone 'head', oval in plan and in cross-section, with prominant circular eyes and lips. The object was brought in by a chap who lives in Lincolnshire. He used to live in France where he found it in a 'cave/cellar' beneath his house. He says that it was found along with 'bows and arrows', some of which had feathers on them. Apparently the bows and arrows were in really poor condition and eventually disintegrated.

It sounds to me as if the previous owner of the house had left a pile of ethnographic material behind. I'm no expert, but I wonder if it is French Polynesian?

The stone is very weathered, and is of a reddish/brown porus structure with frequent 'fault-lines' running through it. '

Adam Daubney
Finds Liaison Officer, Lincolnshire

The Portable Antiquities Scheme
www.finds.org.uk 01522 552361

IMPORTANT: This e-mail (including any attachments to it) is strictly confidential and intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged, confidential or sensitive information. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy or distribute it to any other person or take any action in reliance. If you have received it in error, please notify your system manager and the sender as soon as possible and then delete it from your system.