I'm interested to hear experience and comments on the "relevant progress" requirement for ESOL with citizenship, introduced in April.

I'm looking at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part1/ paragraph 33F

At initial assessment, all the colleges which I have worked at have assessed learners according to the level they are working towards, eg an E2 learner is a learner who is working towards E2, rather than one who has achieved this.
Do the new regulations mean that for a learner who is working towards E2, we should instead be saying that the learner is "at entry 1". Does it make any difference whether the learner is emerging or consolidating E2?
Or do we assess an emerging E2 learner is "at entry 2" and they have to achieve E3 speaking and listening?

What does it mean to be "below entry 1"?

What are you doing in practice? Have institutions made any changes to their initial assessment practices or documentation to satisfy this requirement?

Do learners need a copy of their initial assessment to include in their application, or is it enough just to state the level of the assessment on the template letter?

Has any specific guidance been issued to ESOL providers?

Many thanks.

Gail Treves-Brown
Slough Borough Council

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]