Dear Naomi,

Thank you for this information. Likewise with your college, the initial assessment used for Newham Adult Learning Service describes the starting point and not the achieved point of a prospective learner, including those with no literacy skills in L1(Non-lit) and literate L1 learners that have no/ insufficient English to work at E1 (pre-entry) for which dedicated classes are provided for each.

As a result of the recent changes, I had understood that a learner had to progress through two levels and have indeed advised a prospective learner from one of the Kent bordering south London boroughs (Newham is in east London) who has been unable to access ESOL closer to home for citizenship purposes that this was the case. From what your experience has shown, the position seems to have remained unchanged in that successfully progressing through one level is sufficient.

I have just checked on the UKBA website regarding "relevant progress" and have copied in that part:-

To demonstrate 'relevant progress', your college must confirm that you have progressed by at least one level from the level at which you were assessed at the beginning of the course that led to your relevant qualification. For example, if you were initially assessed by your college as being below Entry 1 level, you must obtain an ESOL (speaking and listening) qualification at Entry 1 level or above. UKBA "ESOL course in English with citizenship" page.

The confusion appears to be the wording "… progressed by at least one level from the level at which you were assessed at the beginning of the course that led to your relevant qualification." This is then mitigated by the following sentence.

I did speak to the UKBA over a year ago regarding the submission of an exam certificate for reading and writing as opposed to speaking and listening(S&L occurs in the first semester here, Sep- Feb; R&W, Feb-Jul) to demonstrate the learner's competence. The response was that this would be acceptable as it was assumed that to pass that, the learner must be able to speak(!)

With best wishes.

Michael

Michael Potts, ESOL Co-ordinator,

Adult Learning Service CYPS,

London Borough of Newham

Beckton Globe1 Kingsford Way, London E6 5JQ

Tel: (020) 8430 2000 x 38204 Int: 38204

DDI: (020) 3373 8204