So true!  I made several of the librarians at UCSD very angry because I

insisted on checking out books that they had decided to send off to store

or dump because no one read them.  One refused to check out Grammatica

Celtica to me because in was in Latin about Irish grammar and no one read

Latin or cared about Celtic grammar.  I was loud enough in my objections

that another librarian intervened; however, when I had to turn it back in,

they dumped it immediately and would not say where.  I had offered to buy

the book (it was only one volume of a two-vol. set (the other had been
lost),

but they had refused to sell it to me.  The university libraries can be just

as bads as public libraries.  At least the public libraries sell books in

open sales in lieu of disposing of books furtively.

Scott Catledge