Hi All,

I would appreciate some advice on the following:

We have received a request from the police for information concerning a former student wanted in connection with criminal damage offences across numerous areas and countries. They have asked for:

-Address and contact number of the individual
-Course attended
-Whether they have been subject to any internal disciplinary procedures

All these seem fine and we have a S29 notice and consider this suitable for disclosure. However they have also asked for:

-The entire contents of the student's e-mail in order to establish whether the student has been corresponding with other suspects on their list
-The content of the student's other electronic files in particular photographs to establish whether the offences are being documented by the suspected offenders

I have major concerns about these elements and Im not sure if it comes within the remit of a S29. I think I would prefer to see a warrant or court order before we provide access to someones personal correspondence. Has anyone else been involved in anything similar? All views welcome.

best regards

Matt Cooper
Records and Information Manager / Rheolydd Gwybodaeth a Chofnodion
Suite C1B2 / Ystafell C1B2
University Secretary's Office / Swyddfa Ysgrifennydd y Brifysgol
Department of Human Resources / Adran Adnoddau Dynol
University of Wales, Newport / Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd
Caerleon Campus / Campws Caerllion
Lodge Road / Heol y Porthdy
Newport / Casnewydd, South Wales / De Cymru
NP18 3QT
Tel / Ffôn:  +44 (0) 1633 432215
Fax / Ffacs:  +44 (0) 1633 432612
Answphone / Peiriant ateb:  +44 (0) 1633 432601
Dolen y We / Web Link