From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Wright, Steve
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">A&M Meikle ; [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:11 PM
Subject: RE: geo-engineering solutions to the climate change crisis

Call me simple but surely the most sustainable and safe geo-engineering project would be to reforest on a massive scale. Rather than look at scary hi tech fixes – why not put a simple premium on every gallon of aviation fluid and refoprest. We have the etch to desalinate, we can build structures in deserts to protect new foliage, the means exist to sterilize sewerage and use it as a piped resource and re-green the places which once were….

But we won’t get one tipping point but many thousands as different linkages fail and challenge other systematic linkages with feedback loops that no longer feedback. I guess the mistake is to think there is no tipping point because we are not experiencing it or we don’t quite comprehend it….but it strikes me that a lot of people have been tipped over recently…. Tipping points which precipitate human migration will initially be perceived as much more of a public security perception that a collective climate management responsibility….And the transitions will not be quiet objective assessment affairs…..

In the meantime why could we not take a leaf out of China’s book and plant hundreds of thousands of trees – even in worktime for those who sustain through the next economic crisis…

Steve