Dear bulletin board,

After downloading and recompiling the complete CCP4 package (we had the
precompiled 32bits version on our 64bits machines) we were able to apply
the patches of Claus and the problem case P21221 went through without
problems.

However, with the next problem case tested, things immediately went
wrong again. The space group was R3 and phaser had written the following
space group information in the mtz file: 146  'R 3 :H'. Attempts to
change the space group with sftools to 'H 3' failed because sftools does
not know 'H 3'. Resetting the space group 146 with sftools was
successful, however, the name written in the mtz was R3. This prompted
autobuster to try to reset the spacegroup to 'H 3' using sftools (with
the results described above).

I did a quick comparison of the space groups implemented in sftools and
the CCP4 library, I found the following discrepancies and there are
probably more:

SFTOOLS           CCP4
number  name      number   name    comment
  -3    P112       1003    P112    different space group numbers
  -4    P1121      1004    P1121   different space group numbers
  -5     A112                      ?? not present in CCP4, probably
2005: A2
  146     R3        146      H3    different setting
                   1146      R3    146 setting of SFTOOLS
 -146    R3R
 1146    R3R                       different entries with the same name
 -155    R32R                      different entries with the same name
 1155    R32R      1155     R32    different name
All non-chiral and origin shifted space groups are missing from SFTOOLS.

As Bart told us, sftools was made to ease the transition from the
groningen biomol package to ccp4 and he added a lot of options to
manipulate the reflection data. I find this options very useful e.g. to
simulate the effects of lattice translocation disorder. In a private
mail, Bart told me that he has currently little time to maintain sftools
and since the program does all he needs, there is little incentive for
him to put a lot of time in it.

This leaves me, and probably many other ccp4 users, with the problem
that sftools may produce incompatible mtz files, especially in problem
and non-standard settings. These are exactly the cases where one would
use a program like sftools. In my opinion, either sftools should be
fixed to use the ccp4 library (they really did a wonderful job to
implement all space groups and all settings!), or sftools should be
labeled an unsupported program to be used at ones own risk. For general
scripts like autobuster, one should then probably switch to supported
programs. E.g. I solved the R3/H3 problem by using the reindex program
to change the space group.

The other question is: why does phaser write 'R 3 :H' in the mtz? When
the problem with the P21221 space group first popped up last year, Randy
told me that space group numbers like 2018 are non-standard, and that
space group 18 with the name P21221 was the way to go. This is fair
enough, but 'R 3 :H' is neither PDB nor ccp4 standard and I did not find
it in the international tables. Is it maybe a phenix standard?

Best regards,
Herman