  Hi Roger,

personally, I would take the four dimers from Phaser, strip off all side
chains (make a poly-ala/gly), do a ML refinement with tight NCS
restraints. The resulting map could then be on-the-fly
real-space-averaged with Coot. At your resolution, I would expect to see
the real register of at least some side chains either in the 2mfodfc-map
or in one of the real-space-averaged 2mfodfc-maps.

Good luck,

Dirk.

Am 01.09.10 17:12, schrieb Roger Rowlett:
> I am trying to find a MR solution for a large unit cell (R3:H,
> 158x158x196) with a relatively poor, but I think workable search model
> (30% identity, 50% similarity). The data set is decent to 2.4 A. I
> might be able to get better if necessary. I submitted the  sequence of
> the target to the Phyre server, and it returned a PDB file derived
> from what I had already identified as the most likely successful
> search model. Phaser finds a reasonable solution with four dimers
> (Z=9-15 depending on the data set) for which the unit cell packing
> looks good. Phaser even assembles what looks like "correct" biological
> tetramers in the ASU and across the symmetry interfaces. The main
> chain appears to be mostly traceable, but the side chains are not all
> well-resolved, and I suspect from the better-defined regions, that the
> chain is misregistered by a residue or two throughout most of the
> structure.
>
> Assuming that an MR solution is possible, what is a good approach from
> here? FWIW, Phaser does not correctly place a poly-Ala/Gly model,
> although it may place three chains similarly to the MR solution I have
> with the Phyre model. My first thought is to:
>
> 1. Chainsaw the currrent solution, and attempt to identify and build
> in the correct register of the side chains. after refinement.
> 2. Do a low resolution refinement of the poly-Ala/Gly model to better
> thread the main chain?
> 3. Try EPMR with the Phyre model or the poly-Ala/Gly model
> 4. Give up and get real phases (but I'm so close now!?)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Roger S. Rowlett
> Professor
> Department of Chemistry
> Colgate University
> 13 Oak Drive
> Hamilton, NY 13346
>
> tel: (315)-228-7245
> ofc: (315)-228-7395
> fax: (315)-228-7935
> email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Dirk Kostrewa
Gene Center Munich, A5.07
Department of Biochemistry
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München