From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
George M. Sheldrick
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Deposition of riding H

Pavel: In my original email I very carefully gave credit for
IMPLEMENTING the TLS concept. Of course the ideas and some
programs had been around long before, but it was the
IMPLEMENTATION IN REFMAC that resulted in TLS becoming
widely used. I had actually considered putting it into SHELXL
but had not done so for two reasons (a) I was too lazy and
(b) I missed an essential trick that REFMAC introduced, namely
the combination of TLS with an additive isotropic B-value for
each atom.

Dale: You are quite correct that AFIX 137 breaks my argument
about not depositing (SHELX) hydrogen atoms because they can
be recalculated with no loss of experimental information.
However to be fair, if you generate the first .ins file using
SHELXPRO (the recommended procedure) you will get AFIX 33
that doesn't have this problem. For Pavel and others unfamiliar
with SHELXL, AFIX 33 is a pure riding model with a staggered
methyl group but AFIX 137 assumes local threefold symmetry,
finds the initial torsion angle by a three-fold averaged fit
to the difference density and then refines the torsion angle
in the following cycles. Since this torsion angle is not
given explicitly in the output files, if AFIX 137 hydrogens
are not deposited, they cannot be regenerated except by a full
refinement against the experimental data.

George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,